Our high-quality music education engages and inspires our pupils to develop a love of music and their talent as musicians, and so increase their self-confidence, creativity and sense of achievement. As pupils progress, they develop a critical engagement with music allowing them to compose, and to listen with discrimination to the best in the musical canon.
We support our pupils to:
- Learn to sing and to use their voices
- Create and compose music on their own and with others
- Learn a musical instrument
- Use technology appropriately
- Develop their skills to the next level of musical excellence
- Enjoy music through a variety of high quality educational experiences
Based on the Charanga Musical School, we have designed units of work which are used across the whole school.
In Year 2, our pupils learn to play the recorder, enabling them to develop their first skills in learning a musical instrument and reading music from staff notation.
Year 4 pupils have the opportunity to discover and develop skills by learning to play the clarinet under the Surrey Arts ‘Tune Up’ programme. Lessons are taught by Surrey County peripatetic teachers and an end of year concert is held to demonstrate the skills that have been learnt throughout the year.